Tuesday, February 26, 2013

African Peanut Soup

Sorry for the hiatus!  I got a new job couple of weeks ago (a huge answer to lots of prayers) and now that I'm getting a hang of the new "normal", it's time to start blogging again!

West African Peanut Soup ...



I know what you're thinking.  If you've never had a peanut soup before, the idea can be a bit off-putting.  It's not a new idea to me ... I ate peanut soup as a kid when stopped in Williamsburg, VA on vacation.  But that was the very basic American colonial version - not the veggie filled West African version - and this soup was still a little out of my comfort zone when I first tried it.  However, I am SO glad I did!  Despite being completely vegan, this soup is creamy, hearty, and packs some protein without using any meat-substitute products.  Of course, you can always add some chicken to the mix if you like!

I try to plan on having this meal the same week there's another meal with rice.  That way I can add cooked rice at the end, making the cooking time much shorter!
*You may be thinking, "That's some funny looking rice in that photo ..."  You're right.  It's orzo.  I didn't have cooked rice and I got lazy.  :)

To add some green to the meal, I serve this soup with a side of roasted broccoli - YUM!





Ingredients
2 Tbs olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small sweet potato, chopped small
32 oz. organic vegetable broth
1 bag organic frozen bell peppers
2 14 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp chili powder
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup cooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent and aromatic, about 3 minutes.  Next add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.

2. Add the chopped sweet potato to the pot and stir well to coat with the oil. Pour vegetable broth into the pot.  Cover and simmer over med high heat for about 10 minutes.

3. Add bell peppers, tomatoes, chili powder, and peanut butter.  Mix well and return to simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

4. Stir in cooked brown rice.  Return to simmer and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...