Happy 2013! We survived the end of the world (again) and "live to cook another day." :)
Here's an awesome vegetarian treatment for your New Year's "lucky" black-eyed peas.
I'm generally not one to follow such traditions, but I am one to base a weekly menu around whats on sale... and black-eyed peas are on the menu. I thought this salad would be pretty good... but I was shocked when I sampled it and I tasted BACON. I kid you not, it tastes like there's at least a 1/2 lb. of bacon in this salad!
note: this bowl was filled to the brim when I started "tasting" it.
This is a great make-ahead recipe for family gatherings, showers, parties and potlucks!
- 1 c smoked sun-dried tomatoes (Moistened in warm water and drained if they are very dehydrated)
- 15 oz black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Re-hydrate the tomatoes if necessary, and chop them into small pieces.
- Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, black-eyed peas, onion, bell pepper, and feta in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and honey. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Refridgerate for at least 2 hours and serve chilled.