Monday, April 11, 2016

Monday Meal Plan: Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Good morning, all!

I'm sorry for not getting my meal plan up last week! We ended up taking a little trip up to NC for a long weekend and the meal planning sort of fell by the wayside. We had a wonderful trip which I will write about later, but for now, here's the meal plan for this week!



Hungarian Mushroom Soup


I have a soft-spot for mushroom soup ... mushroom anything, really.  I never liked mushrooms until 2000 when I was traveling through England.  We stayed at a bed & breakfast with an attached restaurant and we were served the most INCREDIBLE mushroom soup one night.  I've been a big fan ever since.

Strangely enough, mushrooms were one of the things that I could not tolerate in my first trimester with Z. Thankfully, it didn't last too long and hasn't been an issue this pregnancy!

So back to the soup... This recipe is fairly easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser! It's somewhat comparable to the mushroom soup they serve at Panera's, but I think it's tastier. :)

I'll try to get a picture up soon!



Ingredients

  • 3 Tbs butter 
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tsp dried dill weed
  • 1 Tbs paprika
  • 1 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 c. vegetable broth 
  • 1 c. milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
  • 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. sour cream

Directions

  1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the chopped onions and saute until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the mushrooms and saute for about another 5 minutes. 
  2. Season the mushroom and onion mixture with dill, paprika, and soy sauce and add the broth.  Cover, and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
  3. Whisk milk and flour together in a small bowl.  Pour the flour mixture into the soup and mix it in well.  Cover and simmer for another 15  minutes, giving it a stir every 5 minutes or so. 
  4. Add the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and sour cream and combine well.  Heat through on low for just a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!

This recipe is adapted from an AllRecipes.com recipe of the same name.  You can find the original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...